Can’t remember the password for your Cisco 800 series router? There’s a fix for that! Follow the following password recovery procedure.
The virtual configuration register is in nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) and has the same functionality as other Cisco routers. You can view or modify the virtual configuration register from either the ROM monitor or the operating system software. Within the ROM monitor, you can change the configuration register by entering the register value in hexadecimal format, or by allowing the ROM monitor to prompt you for the setting of each bit.
1. Attach a terminal or PC with terminal emulation to the console port of the router.
Use these terminal settings:
9600 baud rate
8 data bits
1 stop bit
No flow control
2. Swicth router off and then on
3. Press Control Break on the lapptop keyboard within 60 seconds of power up in order to put the router into ROMMON
4. Type confreg 0x2142
5. Type reset
6. Answer no to all prompted questions
7. Reset line con 0 password to <your password>
8. Reset enable password to <your password>
9. Lastly change the confreg back to 0x2102 by typing
10. All done